Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

'OH, WOULD THAT MY PEOPLE KNEW'

The divine Mercy repaired the tattered cloak of my piety
   and bestowed upon me a repentance as sweet as life.
                   Whatever ill deeds I had done,
                It took them as not having been done;
                    and my undone acts of obedience
                     It took as having been performed.
  It made me glad of heart as good fortune and felicity.
     It inscribed my name in the book of the righteous:
                       I was on e doomed to Hell;
                            it gave me Paradise.
        When I cried "Alas," my "Alas" became a rope,
           I clutched that rope and climbed out:
I became glad and strong, sturdy, yet fragrant as a rose.
             I had been lying at the bottom of a well:
             now the whole world cannot contain me.
                   Praises be to You, O God!
            You suddenly placed me far from sorrow.
Though the tip of every hair of mine should gain a tongue,
     still, the thanks due to You could not be expressed.
Amid these gardens and fountains I am crying out to the people,
                "Oh, would that my people knew!"

                                                                                RUMI
REF:JEWELS OF REMEMBRANCE

No comments:

Post a Comment