Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

THE KING AND THE PEASANT

A king and his courtiers were enjoying a winter
hunt but, as dusk fell, they realised they were far
from any suitable place to spend the night. As it
grew darker, all they could find was a peasant's
cottage.
"Let us see if we can stay there," suggested the
king, "for it is certainly very cold."

His vizier protested. "You can't spend the night in
the hut of a miserable peasant, my lord! It would
lower your royal diginty. Let us pitch our tents, light
many fires, and make the best of it."

Inside his cottage the peasant had heard all this. He
quickly came out and kissed the ground before the
king.

"I am sure that your royal dignity would not be lowered
if you stayed in my hut," he said, "I suspect that your
vizier is more worried that my peasant dignity might
be raised a little."

The king laughed at this. He dismounted, accepted the
peasant's invitation, and ate and slept in his home. In
morning the king gave him a robe of honour and other
presents.

When the king had mounted his horse and resumed his
journey, the peasant caught hold of the stirrup and ran
 a few paces with him.

"You see," he called out, "you have lost nothing of your
glory and power.But as for me,O, I feel as if my hat touched
the sun itself because of your visit!"

                                                                     SAA'DI
REF:THE DISCONTENTED DERVISHES

No comments:

Post a Comment