Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

THREE LIGHTS AND THREE DARKNESSES

When the first man (Adam) was complete, he was told to look over his right shoulder.
There were three lights. He asked the first light its name and where it resided.
"I am Intelligence," it answered "and I live in your head."
He asked the second light the same question.
"I am conscience, and I reside in you eyes."
He looked at the third light and had to shield his eyes from the glow.
"Who are you, and where do you live," he asked.
The light answered, "I am compassion, and I live in your heart."

On the other side of the prophet Adam stood three darknesses. He forced himself to ask
the first darkness its name.
"I am Arrogance, and I live in you head."
"This is impossible," cried Adam, "for that is where Intelligence lives."
"Only until I enter; then there is no room for Intelligence, " said the darkness.
"And who are you?" he asked, turning to the second darkness.
"My name is Insatiable Ambition, and I reside in your eyes."
"But that is where conscience lives," replied Adam.
"Not when I am there," uttered Ambition.
"And you," he asked the third darkness, "Who are you?"
"I am known as Envy, and I occupy space in your heart."
"Compassion is in my heart," said Adam.
Envy with a smile, "Compassion departs."

REFERENCE: WHEN YOU HEAR HOOFBEATS THINK OF A ZEBRA
BY SHEMS FRIEDLANDER

No comments:

Post a Comment