Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

THE BLESSING

A sinful man was so changed by the light of God's grace
that he joined a community of religious men. He found
the life difficult but their influence was so good that his
evil ways were changed, and his lusts and passions
subsided.
                But, though a man may be pardoned by God,
men's tongues are a different matter. He heard whispers
everywhere.

                   'It's all a sham. It won't last long. You can't
change a man with the record he's got.'

'Do you think that he's really given up his bad habits? I
hear that he's worse then he ever was.'

'Just look at him! it's all a pretence.'

At last he could bear it no longer. He went to head of the
religious order.

'I am worn out by the gossip of men,' he complained.

The spiritual director wept. 'Don't you realise what a blessing
you have?' he said. 'It is a divine favour that God has given
you, for you know that you are better than men think.
Contrast this favour with my own lot. All men think me
perfect, but, O, I know that I am imperfection itself!'

                                                               SA'ADI

No comments:

Post a Comment