Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

A STORY OF MAHMOUD AND AYAZ

Shah Mahmoud called Ayaz to him and gave
His crown and throne to this bewitching slave,
Then said: "You are the sovereign of these lands;
I place my mighty army in your hands-
I wish for you unrivalled majesty,
That you enslave the very sky and sea."
But when the soldiers heard of this, their eyes
Grew black with envy they could not disguise.
"What emperor in all the world," they said,
"Has heaped such honours on a servile head?"
Though even as they murmured Ayaz wept
That what the king decreed he must accept;
The courtiers said to him: "You are insane
To change from slave to king and then complain!"
But Ayaz answered them: "O, rather say
My king desires me to be far away,
To lead the army and be occupied
In almost any place but by his side.
What he commands I'll do, but in my heart
We shall not-for one instant-live apart;
And what have I to do with majesty?
To see my king in realm enough for me."
If you would be a pilgrim of the Truth,
Learn how to worship from this lovely youth.
Day follows night- you argue and protest
And cannot pass the first stage of our quest;
Each night you chatter as the hour pass by
And send Orion down the dawning sky,
And still you linger- though another day
Has broken, you're no further on your way.
From highest heaven they came to welcome you,
Alas! you're not the man for this; your thoughts
see hell's despair and heaven's wondrous courts-
Forget these two, and glory's radiant light
Will stage by stage emerge from darkest night;
The pilgrim does not long for paradise-
Keep back your heart; He only will suffice.

                                                           ATTAR

No comments:

Post a Comment