Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A SIGN OF A WISE MAN

A vazier who had been dismissed from his post in the court
of the king entered a community of dervishes. Gradually their
effect on him was such that he recovered his serenity and he
lived happily among them.

One day the king changed his mind, and sent a message that his
former post was open. Would he like it?

The former vazier replied that he would not. 'I am enjoying my
retirement,' he wrote. 'I am content to be safe from the teeth of
dogs and of men, secure from the hands and tongues of slanderers.'

The king sent a more urgent message: 'I am desperately needing your
administration gifts in my government. I must have a man of wisdom
and intelligence.'

The vazier replied: 'A man of wisdom and intelligence does not get
involved in such matters.'

                                                                                SA'ADI

No comments:

Post a Comment