Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

THE KING WHO GAVE HIS SLAVE AN APPLE

A good kind-hearted monarch one day gave
A rosy apple to his favourite slave,
Who seemed to eat the fruit with such delight
The laughing king said: "Here, give me a bite!"
The slave returned him half, but when the king
Bit into it seemed a paltry thing,
Unripe and tart. Frowning he said:"And how
Is what appeared so sweet so bitter now?"
The slave replied: "My lord, you've given me
Such proofs of constant generosity,
I could not find it in my grateful heart
To grumble just because one apple's tart-
I must accept whatever you bestow;
No harm can come to me from you, I know."
If you meet tribulations here be sure
That wealth will come from all you must endure;
The path of God are intricate and strange-
What can you do? Accept what will not change!
The wise know every mouthful on this Way
Tastes bitter with their blood. Until that day
When as His guest they break their bread, they must
Consume in suffering each broken crust.

                                                          ATTAR

No comments:

Post a Comment